Americare (*) to mean the end of the Japan expat health insurance scam?

(*) – by “Americare”, I am referring to the U.S. health insurance reform, which detractors have derided as “Obamacare”. This is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and the related reconciliation act passed the week after.

I tracked this bit of information down surfing today.

McDonald’s is in the news because its “mini-med” health insurance program–which looks suspiciously like the kind of gap insurance that has been a controversy in the expat community in Japan–runs afoul of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA or just ACA). This came to light because of the writing process for regulations to implement PPACA.

This summer, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), who represent the various state insurance regulatory departments, has been crafting proposed rules about something called “medical loss ratios” or MLRs. What MLR is, is the amount of an insurance premium dollar that is paid out for actual health care, as opposed to overhead or company profits. For example, an MLR of 80% means eighty cents of every premium dollar goes out for medical costs.

The NAIC rules-writing task force has been working on a definition for what qualifies as a medical expense. But along the way, a certain other issue has popped up:

Commenters are asking where provider capitation payments and travel medical insurance will fit in when states are enforcing new medical loss ratio standards.

What may have happened is that the Japan expat gap-insurance scam has been caught up in U.S. health reform, at least where the company is U.S. based or has a U.S. underwriter.


The subgroup also is looking at the idea of providing special treatment for consumers covered by expatriate or international policies that cover them while they are traveling or working outside the United States.

The ACA minimum loss ratio provisions probably do not apply to short-term travel medical policies, the subgroup says.

Long-term travel medical policies probably are affected by the rules and possibly ought to be be excluded, but the NAIC does not appear to have the authority exclude them, the subgroup says.

This means that the Obama Administration would have to grant a special waiver–a McDonald’s waiver, let’s call it– for these international expat individual policies. Otherwise, they have to pay out 80% of the premium as health care expenses. The sense I have is that what makes the gap insurance business lucrative to these insurance companies is that they are keeping much more than the 20% the new rules would allow. (15% for group policies.) Cut this back, and they aren’t going to want to write the policies here.

So you might think that the companies will just re-define their insurance as “short-term travel insurance” instead of long-term expat insurance. But then you start running deeper into the area of fraud, which is always bad when it comes to insurance and regulators.

The ACA adopts the definition of “Individual Health Insurance Coverage” that is found in the Public Health Service Act, as modified by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It’s Section 2791(b)(5), and says:

Individual Health Insurance Coverage –
The term “individual health insurance coverage” means health insurance coverage offered to individuals in the individual market, but does not include short-term, limited duration insurance.

“Short-term limited duration insurance” is a term of art, which does not include the expat international health insurance policies. So under the ACA, it may really just no longer be possible to offer expat health insurance except where 80% of the premium is paid out on health care benefits.

The MLR rule is effective in three months (January 1, 2011). After that date, the insurer would have to rebate any premium in excess of 80% MLR unless it obtains a waiver from the Obama Administration. Arguably, after that date, barring a waiver, you ask for a refund of your premiums in excess of the 80% MLR.

So: What happens to these long-term, ehem, “travel” policies?

4 thoughts on “Americare (*) to mean the end of the Japan expat health insurance scam?

  1. Off topic I know but I hope you can help out with this.

    I read:

    The only income that has to be reported as self-employed income is the money you make privately with no connection to an employer. So if you are teaching private students outside of a company or school environment and outside of the payment/tax withholding structure, then that would be the income you would need to declare as self-employment income. (And then you have to do a schedule C form, etc.) You do not have to pay income tax if it is under the $91 (?) ceiling, but you do have to pay social security tax (otherwise known as self-employment tax).

    I earn roughly $85,000 teaching part-time at several Japanese universities and another $15,000 teaching privately or self-employment income.

    Now I want to file for social security back in the *States and understand I will need to pay 15% on the $15,000 but is that it?

    Or am I required to pay more given my total earnings are over are the foreign exclusion limit?

    Thanks for any help you can provide

    1. Karen, you are supposed to enroll in Japanese nenkin and pay the 15,100 yen per month to the Japanese. This is a deduction to your Japanese taxes.

      You pay one or the other. You either pay Uncle Sammy or you pay the Japanese. You do not pay both.

      The goal is to have ten years total (40 credits) in America, and 25 total in Japan — using the treaty for at least one. If you have ten in America and can build 15 in Japan, then you are set. [Edit: By “set”, I mean that you should receive a check under both systems. It may not total much more than $600, $700, or more, depending on what you had put in.]

      It is like that.

      1. I think the point I was making in that excerpt, is that the people who are evading the Japanese nenkin system may find themselves subject to American Self Employment Tax (SE tax). This is only for American taxpayers, of course!

        If you had a choice only to be in the American system—and I don’t think there is a choice—you would have to pay 15.3% on the amount up to $106,800 (2010). So that is $16,340.40 maximum.

        I am sure there is someone out there who’s figured out how to scam so that you pay something to Uncle Sam, something to Japanese, and hope no one notices that you tried to build a double credit for the same year. But I’m not about those sorts of things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s