A lucky break for American tax nonfilers in Japan

Courtesy of the IRS, there is a program now for Americans who have not been filing an income tax return while they have been working abroad (including Japan).

When I was in Japan and ever met a nonfiler, I always urged them to get their paperwork in order. In quite a few cases, they acted like I was talking out of my ass. But I used to say, that it was inevitable that the feds were going to catch up with them. Well, the first signal is there: the amnesty.

Come some future tax year, where the IRS goes asking for the tax return, the situation will be different. And as I’ve said, when the Service comes to you first, you lose the ability to exclude your foreign earned income.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s